First Aid courses – for both Body and Mind
First Aid is just that – to be the first to offer aid. We are first adders for body and for mind. That is, the fixing of people who are physically broken or leaking but also helping those who may find the illness being within their mind. It doesn’t matter what part of the body is not healthy, it needs fixed – and the first part of fixing the problem is to recognise it.
The courses are run by approved trainers and are suitable for all employees, whether office, workshop or field based.
Duration – There are five face-to-face first aid courses we currently offer –
- Appointed Persons – 4+ hours
- Mental Health First Aid – 3.5 hours
- Emergency First Aid at Work – 6+ hours
- First Aid at Work – 18+ hours, split over three days
- First Aid at Work (Refresher) – 12+ hours, split over two days
- Outdoor First Aid – 12+ hours, split over two days (this is a course with much time spent outdoors in areas such as woods and hillsides and as such may not suit everyone)
Methods – The courses are lively and practical with each key teaching point covered by a trainer demonstration and candidate practice. Media presentations are also used to re-enforce the teaching points. The course is continually assessed and has a multiple choice question paper as a final assessment tool. Evidence is gathered during the course to demonstrate candidate competency which, combined with the question paper, are maintained by the awarding body as evidence.
Outcomes – Candidates will be confident in managing all of the required learning outcomes as set out by the Mental Health First Aid England, Resus Council, HSE and ILCOR. Each candidate will receive a certificate from the awarding body.
Group size – the requirements of the HSE, Resus Council and ILCOR courses limit course size to 12 delegates for sessions including resuscitation.